ChakaKhanian

ChakaKhanian // Natural Hair Style Icon

Where do you live?
C:
Let see if you all can figure it out by these lyrics-
‘Take me to another place / Take me to another land / Make me forget all that hurts me / Let me understand your plan’
(It’s Tennessee :) I am a pharmacist… right now.

Why did you go natural?
C:
My hair just didn’t ‘act right’ with a relaxer. Seriously, I thought if my main style was a bun with a relaxer, why continue to get one? Plus, my hair would never stay straight- it would frizz. It was very frustrating for me as a relaxed chica.

This is my second time going natural so to make a long story short, the first time I transitioned for 1 year and 4 months. I was going to hold on to length no matter what! The second time I only transitioned for 5 months and I did the big chop. BEST.THING.EVER!

Going natural really caused me to step back an evaluate what I was doing to my body internally and externally. I know that sounds like a cliche and I know most naturals hate being defined by their hair, but I can truly say going natural helped me transition to being natural in other ways. I can’t say for sure that others correlate my natural hair to being a clean eater or not, but I know when I give into my cravings for junk food, people say ‘I didn’t think YOU ate that way!!’

How would you describe your hair?
C:
Can I be honest? My hair is…interesting. I have 5 different textures of hair , the thickness in each section has its own behavior. My hair appears thick, but only with certain styles. I have to tease, shake, drop and roll with my hair to get it to look full sometimes.

What’s your regimen?
C:
Thanks to indirect heat damage, i.e. sitting under the dryer to get my freshly shampooed hair dry enough for bed, I had to change my regimen. It is as follows:

I have been pre-pooing with Carol’s Daughter Khoret Amen Hair Smoothie…until it runs out. I prefer to use Olive You! Deep Condtioner by MyHoneyChild.

I wash/condition with Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Oil products. To shampoo, I dilute a capful of the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree Oil shampoo in a spray bottle. I shake the mixture then apply to soaking wet hair. I do this because although the shampoo is full of great ingredients, I don’t like the ‘squeaky clean’ feel it gives my hair. I don’t follow this technique with the conditioner, though. I apply a generous amount to freshly shampooed hair and then I section my hair and comb with a wide toothed comb.

So far, I have trimmed my hair once this year and clipped the ends just recently.

My mainstay hair products include Kinky Curly’s Knot Today (for the hair strands), My Asha’s Heavenly Hair Pudding (for the hair strands), and Nature’s Blessing Pomade (for the scalp).

To freshen bed head, I use a herbal tea mixture of blue malva, horsetail and lavender. I make it by using a coffee maker. To keep this mixture longer, I pour 1/8 of vitamin e oil and 1/4 of Elasta QP’s H2 leave in conditioner in the herbal tea mixture and shake it well.

I started back using Elasta QP’s Breakage Control Serum due to the indirect heat damage I’ve suffered.

How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
C:
My regimen above is how I retain both length and moisture. Since winter’s approaching, I will be keeping my hair up and ends protected mainly because the winter makes my hair hard when I wear it loose!

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
C:
The main mistake I’ve made with my hair includes sitting up under a hair dryer (indirect heat) to dry my washed hair so I can go to bed. When I compare my hair to the first time I went natural until now, I can truly tell that my hair was so much thicker and healthier previously than now. I am going to start back using my microfiber towels!

What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
C:
Sleeping with a satin bonnet AND pillowcase.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C:
Girl yes! Check me out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChakaKhanian
http://public.fotki.com/Bublnbrnsuga

posted under |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

    My Hubby and Me :)

    My Hubby and Me :)
    Hiking during the Fall

    A Reidly Lifestyle

    I want to make some positive changes in my health by eating primaly and getting active so I can look and feel better. I also hope that by starting young I can lower my chances of health problems.

    I want to be all I can be for my God, my husband, and my future kids and I think a big part of that is taking care of myself so I can take care of them and serve God to the best of my abilities.

    I also thought I should blog about it ; ) Hope it goes well :)
Powered by Blogger.

Followers


Recent Comments