How "loosing weight/burning fat" works

http://www.livestrong.com/article/363396-the-science-of-burning-fat/


The Science of Burning Fat

The Science of Burning Fat
The Science of Burning Fat

Overview

Fat plays an integral role in the health of your body, especially in relation to cell activity and the overall creation of energy. However, too much fat can contribute to problems with obesity, which can increase your risks for diseases ranging from heart disease to even some forms of cancer. As such, it's important to exercise to keep fat storage on the body under control by burning away excess fat.

Storage

Fat is stored in your body when you take in more calories through the foods you consume than your body can burn for energy. The fatty acids and fat molecules are stored in cells that make up your adipose tissue. Adipose tissue is mostly found under the skin--commonly referred to as subcutaneous fat--as well as above the kidneys and in the liver. In order to remove excess fat from these storage areas, the body must burn the fat through activities such as exercise or other physical activity.

Breakdown

When you burn more calories than you consume, your body turns to fat storage as an alternative fuel to break down and burn for energy. This breakdown occurs through a process called lipolysis. During lipolysis hormones are created in the pancreas, pituitary gland and adrenal gland that activate lipases to break down your fat storage into glycerol and fatty acids.

Energy

Once the fat has been broken down into glycerol and fatty acids, the next step is conversion to acetyl-CoA. The fatty acids are converted through a process called beta-oxidation, while the glycerol is converted through a process called glycolysis. The acetyl-CoA then moves into a process called the Krebs cycle, which removes hydrogen and carbon dioxide from the acetyl-CoA. The hydrogen is then combined with oxygen provided by the bloodstream to create energy in the cells.

Elimination of Waste Products

Once energy is created, heat and the waste products, such as water and carbon dioxide, are all that remain of the broken down fat. The heat is used to maintain your body's temperature. The carbon dioxide is placed back into your bloodstream so it can move toward the lungs where it is eliminated from the body when you exhale. The water is excreted through both your sweat and urine.


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/363396-the-science-of-burning-fat/#ixzz1EYOBq2Na

posted under , , |

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

    My Hubby and Me :)

    My Hubby and Me :)
    Hiking during the Fall

    A Reidly Lifestyle

    I want to make some positive changes in my health by eating primaly and getting active so I can look and feel better. I also hope that by starting young I can lower my chances of health problems.

    I want to be all I can be for my God, my husband, and my future kids and I think a big part of that is taking care of myself so I can take care of them and serve God to the best of my abilities.

    I also thought I should blog about it ; ) Hope it goes well :)
Powered by Blogger.

Followers


Recent Comments